The Moodle Training Site will be closed on Wednesday evenings from 6:00 p.m.–10:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time for security updates and maintenance.
Chapter 2: Accessing Program Specific Training >> Initial ELPAC Moodle Process
Initial ELPAC Moodle Process
Instructions for accessing the English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC) trainings
- Select a course that matches your ELPAC role
- LEA Certification (Kindergarten through grade twelve): For the LEA coordinator or their designee in a kindergarten through grade twelve LEA (the person/people who would have attended the statewide in-person training)
- LEA Certification (Grades six through twelve): For the LEA coordinator or their designee in a grades six through twelve LEA (the person/people who would have attended the statewide in-person training)
- Trainer Resource course: For any person responsible for delivering ELPAC training
- Test Examiner Training and Calibration course: For any person administering the ELPAC
- Obtain the enrollment key from the LEA coordinator
- Must be signed in each course
- Only needs to be signed once per course
Select your role:
The LEA certification course is designed to prepare LEA coordinators, or their designee, to train test examiners to administer and locally score the Initial ELPAC. This course replaces the statewide in-person training. It consists of sections, each with a video or videos to view. Completion of one section is required in order to unlock the next section. All sections must be completed in order to obtain certification. The course does not have to be completed in one sitting, and only needs to be completed by the person or people responsible for overseeing ELPAC training and administration in the LEA. This course does not replace scoring training or calibration for items in the Speaking or Writing domains.
All videos included in the certification course are also included in the Trainer Resources and Test Examiner Training and Calibration courses as resources for local LEA trainings. However, you must view the videos in the certification course in order to receive a certificate of completion. As the LEA coordinator, or designee, it is your responsibility to complete this certification course and ensure test examiners complete calibration.
There is a course for kindergarten through grade twelve LEAs and a course for grade six through twelve LEAs. The LEA coordinator completes the course that best aligns with their LEA.
- LEA Certification courses (K–12 and 6–12)
- One section unlocks the next
- Sections must be completed in order
- Should complete entire section before exiting
- Entire course does not need to be completed in one sitting
- Receive certificate upon completion (emailed to address in account profile)
- Must be completed prior to conducting any training
- DOES NOT calibrate coordinator to administer the test. If the LEA coordinator is also administering the ELPAC, they must also complete and pass calibration for the grade level and grade spans they will be administering. Calibration quizzes are located in the Test Examiner Training and Calibration course.
The Trainer Resources course provides trainers access to online training materials needed to conduct training.
These resources include everything ELPAC trainers need to prepare test examiners for administrating and scoring the Initial ELPAC: training videos, trainer notes for each task type, training quizzes, and the Initial ELPAC Training binder sections. Trainers need to decide if test examiners need training in both the Speaking and Writing domains or just Writing domain. All test examiners will have to calibrate for the grade level and grade spans and the domains they will be administering and scoring. Calibration quizzes are located in the Test Examiner Training and Calibration course.
- Trainer Resources course
- Resources to support training
- Organized by task type
- Nothing required to complete
- Resources used by trainer to best support test examiners
- DOES NOT calibrate trainer to administer the test. If the trainer is also administering the ELPAC, they must complete and pass calibration for the grade level and grade spans they will be administering. Calibration quizzes are located in the Test Examiner Training and Calibration course.
Initial ELPAC Test Examiner Training and Calibration course
The Test Examiner Training and Calibration course provides test examiners access to online training videos and quizzes for self-guided training and calibration.
Sections containing various training materials and calibration quizzes (Calibration Certification) are organized by grade levels and grade spans. Within each training and calibration section, test examiners will find training videos, training quizzes, and calibration quizzes.
- Training videos can be viewed multiple times, and can be scrubbed forwards and backwards.
- Training quizzes provide the opportunity to practice scoring and viewing score justifications. Completion of training quizzes is not required to receive a certificate of calibration.
- Calibration quizzes are specific to grade levels and grade spans and are located in the Speaking Calibration Certification and Writing Calibration Certification portions.
- Test examiners only need to use the training materials for the grade level/grade span and the task types they will be administering and scoring.
Test examiners must calibrate for the grade level or grade spans they will be administering and scoring. Calibration quizzes do not need to be completed in order. Once all calibration quizzes in the section are completed, a link to a “certification of completion” will unlock. Test examiners will follow this link to have a certificate emailed to them. Test examiners can share these certificates with their ELPAC trainer, site coordinator, and/or LEA ELPAC coordinator as proof of calibration.
Test examiners may need to complete calibration in more than one grade level or grade span section, depending on who they will be testing. For example, test examiners administering the ELPAC to kindergarten through grade 6 will need to complete the kindergarten–grade 5 AND the grades 6–8 speaking calibration certification sections.
Test examiners do not need to take the LEA Certification Course, however, the training videos included in the certification course are available for test examiners as an additional training resource.
- Resources to support training and calibration
- Organized by task types
- Must complete/pass Speaking and Writing calibration quizzes that match grade level or grade span test examiner will be administering
- Does not need to be completed in order or one sitting
- Receives a certificate upon completion of calibration quizzes (emailed to address in account profile)